Saturday, November 25, 2006

Things I forgot to tell


Lets see.....Kim is getting over his cold that he came down with the night he got home. We figured it was from fatigue.
We finally got Betty Lou out and took her for a nice long ride. We barreled down Bond Road and back home. After we got back, I decided that, while I still had my boots on, I would take a hike across the pasture. Mostly I wanted to see if I could get a better look at the house being built behind us. I can see the roof and chimney from a couple of places at my house, but I couldn't see if from the fenceline at the far end of the pasture....too many trees (cedar bushes) and too far down the slope.
As I headed back to the house, Jack took off after a cottontail...slowing down just enough to get through the fence. Dufus missed out on the Jackrabbit I flushed out in front of me. Then getting almost home, I just happened to stop and look around me. I didn't remember anything being on top of that old telephone post......so pulled out the binoculars Kim let me use and got a closer look. Not more than 20 feet from me was a healthy Barn Owl!! And he was looking at me! I said hello, and took afew steps in his direction that caused him to take off in flight. Did you know they have ragged wing edges that keeps their flight silent? Since he flew to a tall tree closer to the house, I was able to point him out to Kim. I looked him up in my bird book and found they lay their eggs in Jan or Feb. Also, they are fearless.....even attacking skunks and possums, thus known as Flying Tigers. I think Jack needs to stick close to home and watch his back.....the cats too. Tigger looks like a Coon in the dark anyway....wonder if he has had run ins with the owl?
Edit!!! My mistake, it was a Great Horned Owl....and a big one at that!
Today my legs hurt. Walk/jogging a mile a day for the past couple of days, then the hike in the pasture with my Wolverine steel toed boots on really did a number on my muscles. I don't know right now if I will go for a mile this afternoon or not.
I think that is all for now.....except for the picture.


That is me at Camp Crochet, with the felted purse I won. The double chin you see is the very reason I am trying to exercise a mile a day. So far, I have quit smoking, gained 10lbs, and am sore all over. Yeah, real encouraging. But hey, I managed to get the hair to behave that day. It's not a curly mop sticking out all over.

Have a good one, Y'all

No comments: