Monday, November 21, 2005

Trash to Treasure Day

Once upon a time, many years ago, a friend and I went to Kerrville to see what we could find. In one shop, I discovered an old rolltop desk for $120. The tambour was broken and it was in sad shape, but it was sturdy built and very heavy.
The summer before last, Kim and I installed vertical cut bamboo flooring in most of our house. While the desk was outside, I took the opportunity to redo it. I sanded it down....it looked like Old English scratch cover had been used on the raw wood.....then I primed and painted it. The top was sanded and repaired, then about 6 coats of poly put on it. Then I turned my attention to the old rolltop part. The parts that jutted out were cut off, then the whole thing painted to match the desk.


When we went to mount it, we realized it worked best turned upside down. I drug out some fancy scrollwork shelf mounts I had stashed and called it done.

It is mounted in my computer area and holds my paper, disks, computer books, and all manner of stuff. In the picture above, you can see the plain wood desktop. I am very pleased with the outcome. You can also see the new flooring. We absolutely love it.

No comments: